Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Freedom of Speech: An Illusion?

Last week, I was called out by both classmates and family members alike on one of my more malicious posts. This post, while for the most part true, admittedly had a rather palpable slant on it, leaning more in favor of my sister's condemnation over her redemption. I suppose the dialogue following the semicolon in the post's title wasn't explored thoroughly enough. I spent much of my time ranting a blue streak on how my sister irritates me, while ignoring her more amiable qualities, for which I am now more keen to realize.

So this brings about an interesting point; do I have a freedom of speech? To say as I please? To say whatever may be on my mind? The answer is not quite. While I sense very few individuals read my blog, with an occasional spike here and there, I am still not all that free when it comes to the content and the nature by which I communicate that content, especially given that my parents seem to have a newfound web destination in an attempt to keep me in line: this very blog.

I think when I escape their wrath, I will be more able to exercise my freedom of speech, with my next meal already paid for, and impossible to be arbitrarily taken away for the sake of punishment. But to be honest, I think it's extraordinarily unfair that my parents forced me to remove that post no matter how destructive it may have been. The truth in all writing is what matters most, and so if they had instead asked me that I modify the post so that it didn't outright discriminate my sister, I would have been understanding. Though, they reasoned that it would hurt my chances of getting into college, or a place in the ever-shrinking workforce. Paranoia of an impending "Big Brother" figure, I presume? Silly.

So in all, it appears any malicious content I write cannot go unaccounted for.

No comments: