Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Düsseldorf, Germany: Day 2

Untitled

Untitled
The tranquil neighborhood I'm living in! Super schön!
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Only in Germany would a business man ride a scooter to work... Ehrlich?


Day 2 was in many ways not as successful as day 1. I woke up at (an early for me) 8 o' clock, took a shower and rushed to the S-Bahn (and small electric train) for my placement test for my German course at the International Intitut Kommunication, IIK for short.

Untitled
My minuscule room, only for two days though.


While taking the test, I racked my brain to recall various grammar and syntax rules, but it was to no avail. I can chalk this up to taking only two full years of German, but whatever the cause, I will forever be a painfully poor test taker. 

After the exam, I went to the nearby Arcaden for some food. I was so desperately hungry, I was willing to eat virtually anything. I saw a fast food/carry out Asian restaurant, fittingly called "Asia Haiky" (don't ask me what "Haiky" means). As soon as I spoke to the Chinese woman at the register, with a "hi," she knew I was an American. My interactions with her only went downhill from there as she continued to speak English to me as her accented German proved fruitless. I was insulted the way she condescended me as an American and never gave me an opportunity to speak German. Her food was alright. 

Then as I returned to the S-Bahn, a lovely piece of gum that sat in the hot summer sun stuck to the bottom of my new pair of Sperrys. Mist! 

I rubbed the gum off, boarded the S-Bahn and was on my way. Until all of a sudden a conductor needs to see our tickets. I thought to myself "Ah, last time they never checked our tickets," so I was reluctant to insert my ticket in the machine so that it could be stamped, saving me some money (which is crucial in Europe, where nothing but the air is free). The man asked me where I was going, and again exposed my American-ness. But I was steadfast in my not-caring-who-knew-I-was-American. I begrudgingly inserted the ticket, rendering it now useless for future trips to school. Scheisse! 

I walked home with a lump on my back, feeling as though everyone in Germany hated me. I realized this wasn't the case, however, as I returned home to my Gastfamilie, where I felt loved yet again. 

I then realized I probably didn't do as well as I would have liked on the placement exam and clumsily revealed my identity because of how tired I was. I hopped in my bed, without any intention of sleeping for long, but I slept for three hours. 

What made my day was a run I went on. I couldn't tell you how long it was because this was my first time running in a country where miles are weird. Speaking of weird, I felt weird because I took my shirt off midway through my run. I wasn't fazed the number of stares I received. For me, it was just like America because there, I never bike with a shirt. So if the German public wants to check me out, so be it. 

Untitled
An unusually patriotic German household. Brings back memories of 'Merica!

Culminating into a not-so-bad-day was the pizza parlor my Gastfamilie took me to. The margarita pizza I ordered was fabulous, albeit greasy, and good times were had by all. I especially appreciated the European pace of dining, where unlike America, we don't leave as soon as we are done. 

Untitled
Is this pizza zu groß for Gina?

Untitled

Um das Ende des Tages, nicht so schlecht! 

No comments: