Thursday, May 31, 2012

Düsseldorf, Germany: Day 4

It's official. It takes me approximately four days to be comfortable with a foreign country. I am finally beginning to get my bearings in this land: where to go, how to behave, how to socialize, etc.

In fact, all the foreign students I study with at my language institue in Düsseldorf (IIK) either have no clue where I am from or have guessed various European nations. I suppose this goes to show how heavily influenced German clothing style is from American shops and designers. I am somewhat thankful this is the case because anonymity is the best thing one could ask for in Europe, where long, judgmental stares are commonplace. However, I am insulted when I see people wearing American baseball caps for simply the "style" of it and nothing more. Most Germans have no idea what baseball is!

Untitled
How badly is this place trying to be the German equivalent of Forever 21. I don't remember being 18 was ever that great...
Untitled
Amerika, the influential!
Untitled
One way America has NOT influenced Germany is bathroom sizes. I could maybe fit two toothpicks in here! 


Speaking of the foreign students I study with, I find it funny that students from all the European nations (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.) that are currently in the midst of economic turmoil are the ones coming to Germany to learn the language so they can one day live here. Conversely, the students from nations with relatively stable economies are few. I believe myself included, there are only three American students in total and one Canadian student. It seems there is a distinct influx of foreigners immigrating to Germany so that they may enjoy its prosperous economy.

Today had to be my best day. Everything simply seemed to work. I went early to IIK to change my course from afternoons to mornings. That worked. I went to purchase a monthly train and bus ticket. That worked. I went to buy peaches and ice tea. That worked. It was miraculous how fluid everything was today and I think having already gone to college for a year and being on my own has made a world of difference.

I'm keeping a close look on my expenses and [trying to] keeping them to a minimum. I'm meeting new people and challenging myself to talk to as many people as possible, and that's no trouble either. There's something about the German language that removes all the barriers I have in English. And in a way, German is more universal than English because in English, one's identity is exposed to moment a person opens his or her mouth. But in German, everyone is striving to speak with the same accent and there's a degree of universality to that. Something, at least, that is missing in English.

Also unlike America, when you look at a pretty girl, she's not afraid to look back!

Check out these pictures of my temporary home while you're processing that last statement:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
The Dorf where I'm living is located near a "horse farm" Pferdfarm, could you tell? 
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Tchüß Kumpels! 

No comments: